Teacher / Organizer / TDJ
Yerpun Castro began teaching tango in 2007. He was a musician until tango took him over and he learned to use his own body as an instrument. His long career in music and Alexander’s technique classes played a crucial role in his love of tango dance and his approach to teaching.
His pedagogical approach focuses on unlocking the potential of the body, connecting with the partner and the music simply and consistently. He works on the quality of embrace, gait, attitude, sensitivity, aesthetics and musicality.
Here’s how he describes his tango:
My tango is about freedom. Every time I take a new student, my goal is for them not only to learn the canons of tango but also to discover their own dance. I help them replace their standard behaviors that lead to misuse of body and mind with new ones.
My tango is about beauty. The beauty industry bombards us with images of “pretty” girls and “pretty” guys. Tango does something different. Tango makes you truly beautiful. It may sound exaggerated, but I’ve seen people who aren’t beautiful at all, but when they dance… it takes your breath away.”
Tango can also be a healing process. It will make you feel and understand:
- How to look at yourself in the mirror without fear or judgment, but with love and acceptance.
- How to express your sensuality and feel joy and confidence
- How to manage your reactions to any emotional or physical stimuli
- How to use your body correctly in every move and every step
- How to allow yourself to make mistakes without self-punishment or guilt
- How to stop being stuck in the past or worrying about the future and be fully present in the present moment
- How to awaken curiosity and begin to question things and meanings that seemed obvious
- How to remain disciplined and attentive to every little detail, over and over again
- How to transform yourself into a better or truer version of yourself
- How to look at any of life’s challenges without prejudice or fear, but calmly and clearly.
This is what I love about tango, and what I will share with you.